Be An Advocate For Your Teen
Recognizing the signs of adolescent depression in your teen starts with being open to conversation, not being ashamed, and knowing the right words to use to speak with your teen.
You are your teen’s greatest champion. Create an inclusive culture around them with in-school classroom programming and teen programs that reduce stigma and ensure your child’s school is supportive.
How Can Erika’s Lighthouse Help My Family?
Depression in teens is common. Every parent can help spread a message of hope and protect those who need it most.
Erika’s Lighthouse was founded in response to a young girl losing her life to depression. This should never happen again, so we are dedicated to providing information for you and your teen to educate and empower them to take charge of their mental health. We know that teens, when given the opportunity and resources, can survive and thrive. We can help.
It’s that time of year, the time for New Year’s Resolutions. So many people decide that January is the time to start taking care of their physical health. They join a gym, commit to classes and...
2020 continues to spark some serious divisiveness. From politics to the pandemic, many are ecstatic to celebrate a new year and hope for brighter times ahead. There is no longer a sense that normal...
I am the parent of a suicide survivor. Even typing these words brings on a whirlwind of emotions. I remember the day my son attempted to take his life and the shock and sadness I felt that somehow I...
Parent Handbook on Childhood and Teen Depression
Introducing the Second Edition of our parent-to-parent guide about teen depression offering basic information about depression and practical advice to help families navigate treatment, school support, medication and much more.
The heart of Erika’s Lighthouse and the foundation for change is education. Through Classroom Programs, Teen Empowerment Clubs and our Parent Handbook we are driven to offer valid and reliable resources that educate and empower. You can take the first step by educating yourself and learning how to talk with and support your teen.
- The Parent Handbook on Childhood and Teen Depression is written by parents, for parents to learn about depression, treatment, coping and support. This free, easy-to-read book in both English and Spanish is a starting point for you to learn to help.
- Our Depression Discussion Guide was designed specifically to help you engage your teen in a meaningful discussion about depression and mental health.
- Erika’s Lighthouse has recommended language to help you start a discussion with your teen. If you are concerned, we can help.
- Our Teen Toolbox, while designed specifically for teens, is a great resource for you to learn more about what your teen is learning in our program and how you can talk to them.
- Host a family game night with our Interactive Jeopardy-like Good Mental Health is for Everyone.
After my son died, Erika’s Lighthouse was a beacon of hope to me. The resources are exceptional, especially the Parent Handbook, videos and blog. The information I received from Erika’s Lighthouse allowed me to forgive myself for what I didn’t know and what I didn’t understand. I no longer felt alone, but realized there was a whole community in Erika’s Lighthouse that understood what our family went through and who could provide help and hope to so many others. The multitude of resources are friendly and non-intimidating so people are motivated to learn more and not feel so overwhelmed.
Erika’s Lighthouse can help you and your teen’s school community to be more inclusive and empathetic around mental health. Our programs are designed to help teens find their voice, seek help and support one another.
Become a Community Ambassador and help bring Erika’s Lighthouse programming to your teen’s school. With training and resources you can speak to local educators and policy makers about the importance of depression education through Classroom Programs and Teen Empowerment Clubs.
Become an Ambassador Today >
Download a few of our tools and resources to share today:
- General Erika’s Lighthouse Flyer
- Classroom Program Flyer for: Social Workers, Counselors, Educators
- Teen Empowerment Club Flyer
- Parent Engagement Flyer
- Erika’s Lighthouse Introduction Presentation
- White Paper: Depression Education is Suicide Prevention
You can become an ally to your teen and others struggling through community education, awareness and fundraising events. Bringing your community together in support of positive teen mental health, reducing stigma and raising awareness are amazing opportunities to mark special occasions or memorialize someone or something.