Suicide is the second leading cause of death among young people ages 15-24 in the US.
Nearly 20% of high school students in the US report having serious thoughts of suicide, and 9% have attempted suicide. That is why it is so important to raise awareness about suicide prevention and to provide teens with the resources they need to get help.
One way to raise awareness about suicide prevention is to participate in the GIVE VOICE campaign. This annual campaign is organized by Erika’s Lighthouse and is designed to educate young people about suicide and encourage them to seek help if they are struggling.
The GIVE VOICE campaign includes a variety of activities, such as:
- Advocating for mental health education
- Learning how to seek help
- Spreading awareness about suicide prevention
- Promoting positivity and self-empowerment
These activities are designed to reach young people where they are and to provide them with the information and support they need. In addition to raising awareness, the GIVE VOICE campaign also helps to break down the stigma surrounding suicide. This is important because many young people who are struggling with suicidal thoughts don’t seek help because they are afraid of being judged.
The GIVE VOICE to Suicide Prevention Week campaign is a powerful tool that can help save lives. By participating in this campaign, you can help to raise awareness about suicide prevention and to break down the stigma surrounding suicide. Together, we can make a difference.
Here are some of the benefits of using the GIVE VOICE to Suicide Prevention Week campaign:
- Raising awareness about suicide prevention: The GIVE VOICE campaign can help to raise awareness about suicide prevention by educating young people about the signs and symptoms of suicide, and by providing information about where to get help.
- Encouraging young people to seek help if they are struggling: The GIVE VOICE campaign can encourage young people to seek help if they are struggling by providing them with information about the resources that are available to them.
- Breaking down the stigma surrounding suicide: The GIVE VOICE campaign can help to break down the stigma surrounding suicide by normalizing the conversation about suicide and by showing young people that they are not alone.
- Spreading positivity: The GIVE VOICE campaign can spread positivity by focusing on the hope and resilience of young people.
If you are a young person who is struggling with suicidal ideation, please know that you are not alone. There is help available. Please reach out to a trusted adult, such as a parent, teacher, or counselor. You can also call the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline at 988.